Friday, September 26, 2014

Slow Cooker Apple Butter

Served Slow Cooker Apple Butter 71 calories and 2 points per quarter cup

Make apple butter in the slow cooker is one of the great gifts of autumn. It is incredibly easy to do and makes your house smell amazing. Close your eyes and imagine yourself home after a long day of expiry smells like apples and cinnamon in the air flow slowly cooked. Seriously, people pay good money for candles that smell so good.

Make apple butter cook on my bucket list for some time. Every year around this time, I see Pinterest flooded with many recipes for apple butter. Well, this year I finally decided to do it.

Let us first about the difference between apple sauce and apple butter speak. It can be a little confusing, because basically they are cooked in the same manner and apple butter no "butter" on it. The difference in the duration of cooking. Applesauce enough to soften the apples so that they will cook ground in apple sauce. Here are my crockpot applesauce recipe here. With apple butter, when the apples applesauce to be, mix until the sauce is smooth, then continue cooking until the sauce is delicious spread produces very thick or "butter". The texture is not thick like butter, but it is much thicker than applesauce. The taste still looks like applesauce, but in a concentrated way inbound. Apple butter is like the older sister of maturity of applesauce. Well, I guess the apple butter is the adult version of applesauce. Anyway, it's delicious.

Apple butter can be made on the stove, but I decided to do me in the slow cooker. I love my slow cooker and when I have the opportunity to guess on the stove or "set and forget" who I take? Yep! Now this recipe is not just "set and forget" a recipe. 'N do not need to check it from time to time, especially during the second phase of cooking. But do not worry, it's still a very fun and easy to make recipe ,.

The type of apple I used were gala. Gala apples are soft, so you do not have to use a lot of added sugar. Most recipes called apple butter for 1 or 2 cups of sugar. I'm not sugar in recipes, however, but that seems like a lot of sugar for me. I just ¼ cup firmly packed brown sugar is used, and that did the trick. If you use an apple pie (for example. Granny Smith), you can add more sugar. The great thing about the apple butter is that it is very versatile. You can use any apple that you want and play with the spices. For spices in my recipe, I did a little cinnamon and nutmeg.

applebutter6

I think you'll be glad to know that my recipe does not peel the apples. Please! I think one of the reasons why I make so long, apple butter is that I did not want to wait six pounds of apples. I know I can have an apple peeler, but that requires me to remember that I have to buy one. Therefore, I always use hand peeler. So I decided to keep the skins on.

applebutter3

The skins of the apples are good for you anyway. You have to leave all the fiber and nutrients from apple to apple butter nutritious. In addition, all the apples were in a smooth mass that no one will ever know the skins on puree left.

Look no fur!

applebutter4

So, how should I eat apple butter? It tastes good in oatmeal, toast, yogurt, or a spoon straight from the jar. I even use it in cinnamon rolls. Do not know how the output, but does not that sound great?

Mmm!

applebutter2

Apple butter can be stored for up to one week in the refrigerator. It can also be frozen for up to 6 months.

Slow Cooker Apple Butter
Total time
Author:
Servings: 24
Ingredients
  • 6 pounds apples (I used Gala), chopped with skins left on
  • ½ cup apple
  • ¼ cup of brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon cinnamon
  • ¼ teaspoon nutmeg * optional walnut
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
Instructions
  1. Place apples, cider, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla and Slow Cooker. Mixing around a few times to mix the ingredients.
  2. Put the lid and cook for 4 hours on high.
  3. With a mixture of potato blender or hand blender until smooth. Be careful because the apples are hot. If you do not have a hand blender, you can use a regular blender, but be careful again.
  4. With cover cook on high heat for 2-3 additional, or until it reaches the desired consistency hours. If the cooking step, you need to pay a little more attention. Want to keep an eye on the consistency. Mine oven for 3 hours. Pour into jars and cool. Store in a refrigerator up to one week or in the freezer.
Nutritional Information
Dosage: ¼ cup Calories: 71 Fat: 0 Carbs: 18 points + WW: 2-fiber: 3 Protein: 0

No comments:

Post a Comment